Yep, that’s right you can eat healthy on a budget. Budget and Eating healthy can be done successfully. I know that everyone has a different diet but these tips can be used for any diet you and your family has.
10 Ways You Can Eat Healthy on a Budget
- Shop in season – Shopping in the season can save you money. Shopping out of season can cause you to pay more sometimes even double for a product
- Know the dirty dozen of foods. These are foods that you should buy organic all others don’t necessarily have to be organic (should be GMO-free)
- Use coupons, sale ads, and shop on clearance racks– Yep even grocery stores have clearance racks
- Plan, Plan, and Plan. Plan out meals for the week or month
- Set a budget and stick to it – Set a weekly/monthly budget and stay on it
- Buy in bulk – I like to buy rice, beans, and other non-perishables in bulk from Costco or your favorite bulk store
- Incorporate meatless meals – Meats usually are the highest price budget item, try to incorporate 1-2 meatless meals a week). Check out this smoothie recipe.
- Organize your refrigerator and pantry – Know what you have in stock and incorporate it into healthier meals (this will avoid you from buying the same products that you currently have in stock)
- Repurpose leftover food – Make new meals using leftover foods (soups, fried rice, and sandwiches)
- Shop at farmers markets and ethnic groceries – Farmers markets and ethnic stores have a greater variety of foods and lower prices than regular groceries
Eating healthy does not have to break the bank. I have tried to shop at different places to see what works for my budget. I have found my key places to shop and it provides the right foods for my budget. So shop around, replace your normal meals with different alternatives, think outside of the box.
Do you have any tips on eating healthy and staying on budget?