Recently, I have been having issues with falling asleep. This has not been a problem in the past … just now with all of the changes going on in the world.
I am a huge advocate of getting an advocate amount of sleep and resting as needed. So, I know I needed to make some changes to getting to sleep and staying asleep.
If you have ever experienced lack of sleep or have a sleep disorder you can understand how frustrating it can be and how it can affect your day. The lack of sleep can make you feel defeated before you even start.
Why is Sleep is Important:
Getting a good night’s sleep is important in many ways.
- It is a Mood booster. Getting up feeling rested and having energy to take on the day.
- Sleep aids in better health and can help lower cholesterol and fight sickness. You know when you are sick and most doctors will tell you to rest.
- It can give your brain a boost. Being well rested can help with memory and focus.
Sleep Better with These Simple Tips
- Drink Tea – Drink a cup of caffeine free herbal tea. There are many different tea blends that can aid in sleep. My favorite is chamomile and lavender.
- Exercise – Working out can be a good thing to do at night to help you sleep. Doing a good cardio workout, followed by a soothing shower can have you sleeping like a baby. Here are some great exercises you can try.
- Don’t drink caffeine/refined sugar – Avoiding caffeine and sugar can have many health benefits, and sleeping is one of them. If you have to have some form of caffeine try to cut it out by midafternoon. This will give your body some time to release it before bed time approaches.
- Dark Room – Turn off all electronics and lights. This has been one of the best things I incorporated. I don’t have a television in my room and make sure all lights are off.
- Develop a Night-time routine – I think this is the most important tip. Just like we do when we have kids and get them on a routine, this is also helpful for adults. Do the same thing at night to prepare your body to get ready to rest.
- Silence/Quiet Room – This goes along with having a dark room. Remove any sounds that may be distracting to you… such as a cell phone.
- Hydrate Throughout the day – Drink more water. This helps the body in so many ways.
- Eat nourishing meals – Eat meals that will help nourish your body and are easy to digest. Knowing what foods are good for you and your body, you can avoid night time indigestion and stomach aches. Try a few of these plant-based snacks.
- Right Mattress – The right mattress does matter when it comes to getting a good nights rest. Test out different mattresses and see which one is best for you.
- Read A Book – Reading can relax your mind and take away stress from daily life. This is why I think we read to kids before they go to bed, to relax them and help them fall asleep.
- Noise Machine or Music – Listening to calming sounds is a great why to ease into a good nights rest.
- Essential Oils – Lavender is one of my favorite oils to use for relaxation. There are many other oils that can aide with relaxation and you can even combine a few for higher results.
I have used a few of these tips to help me sleep. The best tip that works for me is to sleep with out any noise in a dark room.
If you try any of these tips, please let me know which one helped you get more sleep.